Sunday, June 25, 2006

Week 11: 24 June -- A few messages

So we're looking pretty good. The major storm that was predicted for the weekend didn't seem to hit with the punch that I was prepared for. We got a nice soaking rain but no heavy water damage. The garden seemed to love it. The hosepipe that I repaired on Wednesday night has held too. I've had good garden karma this week.

Saturday was a day of weeding. Lots of it. Message to self: next year, mulch well once your plants are established.

Have a look at these tomatoes. After all of my worry and fret these seem to have established themselves well. Another message to self: next year every tomato plant will be caged, no more stakes and ties. Still no sign of fruit but a few flowers which means that fruit can't be far behind.




And check out these beans. They're working their way up the teepee. They have these amazing spiral tendrils which climb up the poles. Very cool.

I'm feeling pretty good about things right now, everything is doing what it's supposed to (except the eggplant, they seem a bit stunted). The lettuce is growing faster than we can eat it. I think my first bed is going to bolt soon. One more message to self: next year, divide each bed into three and stagger the planting even more.

This week will bring that same mix of sun and rain that we've had for the last month. It doesn't seem like a typical summer but the garden is sure loving it.

3 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

Get some sisal twine and thread it through the bamboo and it will give you some more support without disturbing the plants.

The garden looks great, but don't be fooled about mulching..it keeps the weeds down, but not away. They eventually find a bare spot and pop up, but it makes it so much easier to keep up.

I made the mistake one year of mulching with some freshly cut bales of straw and the weeds were off the hook.

Jeph said...

Why sisal - any particular reason? I ask because I just picked up twine this weekend, and stood there staring at all my options. I know sisal was one of them, but I think I went with a different one...will have to look.

I know last year some of the straw I got had seeds in it - boy was that a mess! My dad said he's had the same problem some years - gotta be careful for that.

Jeph said...

BTW - Billy, the garden's looking GREAT!! See - it's all greening up and taking off.... Wait'll your wading through leaves and vines that come up to your hips - that's always fun! :)