Thursday, June 22, 2006

A very short trip upstate


I was so freaking out about the state of the irrigation and my outside water hookup that I raced upstate last night after work. Raced because I had to get there before dark so I could survey the situation. Not easy to get out of Manhattan at 5pm on matinee day.

Good thing I went. The pipe had once again come undone and was spraying everywhere. I managed to get it reattached and it seems to have held, at least until this morning. I had a quick look at the garden and all is fine, despite the lack of irrigation for at least one day this week. In fact, things are better than fine. The tomatoes have all taken (woo hoo), I have a pea pod (just the one) and it looks like I'll be eating salad for the next few weeks (at least). Amazing what a good blast of sun will do.

Of course, this all meant that I had to leave at 5 this morning to get to work in time. A few interesting points:

1) I got over 28 miles per gallon on the trip down, that's impressive! (see picture)
2) Rabbits are everywhere at 5am
3) There is no way I can live upstate and work in the City, 5am is too early to start and 132 miles is too long to commute

2 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

I just spent my first day in the garden after my week away and I'm not bragging buuuuuuut I picked about 5 pounds of peas today! They're about a day past prime, but not gross and starchy yet and I've been snacking on them as I go through my mail. I hope when you head Upstate you'll be greeted with a huge pea harvest!

Anonymous said...

Geez, the homeownership thing seems rough... up and back from the city for the overnight... oye.
I do like living vicariously though your gardening... seems very "summer-y".
I know it was an earlier posting -- but I really like your wine-learning efforts. I bet you'll move on AND GO BACK to Zin... a really good grape. When you're into Pinots.. you should try the "Sea Smoke" -- a small vineyard in Santa Barbara. I haven't really figured out the Rioja thing... but I do like the Torre Muga (I think that is Rioja).
I miss having wine here...
And, thanks for checking out my blog too... yes $900/month for 3bdr isn't bad...