Thursday, June 22, 2006

Try the wine...

The cellar is now installed and stocked. It's pretty neat to have the entire collection hermetically sealed and completely climate controlled.

I'm heavy on Zins right now as I spent a good few months learning the varietal and stocking up in anticipation of summer barbecues. I'll work my way through those and then move onto my next varietal which will probably be Rioja. Either that or Petite Syrah. But probably Rioja. In my quest for wine mastery I'm taking a grape by grape approach and trying to get my head around one at a time. I'm thinking that I'll alternate between US and European producers and I'm not going to jump into France until I'm a bit more confident. So Zins now, then Rioja, then Petite Syrah, then something Italian and then American Pinot Noir.

The whites get their share of attention in and among the others. I know that I prefer Sauvignon Blanc and that I can deal with Chardonnay but don't really seek it out. I'll need to make a concerted effort with Rieslings at some point but not just yet.

4 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

I'm loving the Eurocave! I'm glad the wine end of my basement has such great humidity and temperature stability or I'd be seriously tempted to get one myself.

I ventured outside my wine comfort zone this past week in DUMBO and ordered things I never buy like Malbec and Rioja and had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Hey B

You're so meticulous about these things - I'd be buying wine at random. If you move to rioja - don't forget white and red. Oh and then do the same with chateuaneuf de pape. I once had a white CdP whilst staying in a castle with a very good friend.....

Felicia said...

Have you tried any pinotage? Aren't too many, but most are really nice (South African)

William Hoffman said...

I have not but we just discussed Pinotage in my wine class this week (we squeezed in 30 minutes after France Part 2 for all of the New World). Pinotage was apparently created in a lab by combining two French grape varieties. I didn't know that.