Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The tomato saga continues

I'm probably worrying about these guys more than I should but I just don't think the tomatoes are flourishing like they should. I'm noticing serious growth and some of the leaves are looking downright anemic.


The good news is that they are all holding themselves up (no real droopers) and that new leaves seem to be forming on some of them. But they've been in for two weeks now and I was hoping to see some more progress.




I mentioned my fears to the guy down at the Agway. I was particularly concerned after seeing reen tomatoes forming on some of their greenhouse plants. He said that we've simply not had the weather so far this year. The tomaters need a few good hot days to hit their stride and we've simply not had that yet this year.



So I'm trying to baby them a bit by removing dead leaves and stems that didn't make it. I'm not going to panic yet but if I end up without tomatoes this year, I'll be the first to say I told you so.

3 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

Your tomatoes look fine to me, they take some time settling in after transplanting; bt they'll take off soon enough.

You may want to rethink your support for them, I made the mistake of using those thin bamboo stakes last year and they collapsed under the weight of the plants when they fruited.

William Hoffman said...

Thanks for that. I'll be lucky to have so many tomatoes that my stakes collapse, but perhaps a few more cages this weekend would be a good idea.

Rainy here today, I'm sure the garden's loving it.

Jeph said...

Your poor tomatoes are going to have performance anxiety!! LOL Mine have been in for about as long, and look pretty much the same as yours - although maybe none are as tall as your first picture? My peppers look worse! Just give them time to settle in, get the roots going, get some warm weather, and they'll do fine.

I think with tomatoes, for the most part, if they get stuck in the dirt and aren't dead, they'll perk up and then take off with a little time. Last year I DID lose some mature plants fairly early on in a couple odds spots in the community garden plot - not sure if they got a virus, or if there was something about the soil? The plants just gave up the will to live and died. Weird.

Oh, and this year, when I was thinning out my seedlings, and cutting out the second/third plants from each peat pot, I did so on the patio just before we had a long rainy spell. Nearly a week later some of those that I'd cut and left on the patio (rain in due to rain storm) were STILL alive!! I cut them from their roots and they were still thriving, presumeably off've the side root nubbin's that had formed? So I stuck a few in the dirt, just to see what would happen, and I think all but one lived!

So I don't think you have too much to worry about! ;-)