Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Feeding time

Before I left last weekend I decided to give the whole garden a good feeding. Now that everything is planted and established, a boost of nutrients would help keep things on track. I've not been really diligent about checking my soil pH and things like that so I decided on a general fertilizer that supplied moderate amounts of the key nutrients of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium (the three numbers that describe all plant fertilizers).

Espoma seems to be the brand that I see written about and spoken of most frequently and they have an entirely organic feed called Plant-Tone which is like a Flintstone vitamin for gardens. You will recall that I used another Espoma product Garden-Tone when I was setting up the beds. Now that I have things planted -- things that I will soon be eating -- I decided that I preferred to use something that was 100% organic.

I'll give them a good feeding each month of the growing season and then mulch in another round of the Garden-Tone in the autumn before I put the beds to bed for the winter (so to speak).

Yabba-dabba-doo!

No comments: