Monday, May 08, 2006

Week 4: 6 May -- The other half

I couldn't wait to get upstate on Saturday morning and see what had come up from what I had planted last week. Sadly, nothing had. At least not of what I had planted. What I did find was that a number of raspberry plants seem to have jumped the wall from their patch outside the garden and poked through. These suckers sure do get themselves in good before they dare show their faces. I dug them out by hand and they had real six-inch taproots in place with only about two or three inches of stem. Maybe I'll get to see some peashoots next week.

What I did get accomplished was sorting out the irrigation. I had the huge advantage of my dad up this weekend who had managed to fix all of my water issues before I even arrived (in addition to carting 10 tractor-loads of pine boughs from a tree we trimmed last month, thanks dad!). That meant that I was able to get a sprinkler set up on a timer to water the peas and lettuce. I set the timer for 20 minutes of water every 72 hours. That's probably too little and I'll adjust it this coming weekend.

I also carted topsoil over to the left side of the garden which, to now, has been untouched. I'm nearly done and should get all the topsoil laid next weekend. Will be very pleased when that task is complete.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing well! What effect is all this outdoor exercise having on your fitness and wellbeing? When do you expect to be able to serve the salad on your table? Maybe I will time a visit to coincide with the big event and bring some nice balsamic... Suse

Anonymous said...

Better get everything you can out of your old Dad before he croaks form all the hard work. At least you fed him.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.