Monday, May 01, 2006

Week 3: 29 April -- The first seeds


So I'm feeling like there has been significant progress this weekend. The weather was really perfect and I was able to break up the work over a few days. I finished spreading the topsoil over half of the plot on Saturday (that means that there's still another half to do -- guess what I'm doing next weekend). Then I finished staking the plots. Then on Sunday I raked the soil off the paths and built up the beds and laid straw on the paths to keep them separate. Then the pea trellises went up and then finally I planted my first vegetables: sugar snap peas and a blend of salad lettuces.

I gave the seeds a good soaking and they'll get more on Wednesday this week as we're do for showers. The showers are fortunate as I had major problems with the water hookup down by the garden. There's a leak further up the line that I'll need to deal with next weekend as well.

I'm pretty pleased with the work so far. I spent a good bit of time standing back and surveying what I had done. Of course, it all means nothing if I can't get anything to grow. Maybe I'll see something pushing through the soil next weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are more organized than i so your crop yields are likely to be higher than mine were. But then again, my cucumbers were worth 600 dollars each, and they were delicious.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.