Monday, April 24, 2006

Week 2: 22 April -- A Wash Out


As predicted, Mother Nature wasn't on my side this weekend. I made it up to the house in good time on Friday with my folks' dog Bogey in tow. The weather then was warm and dry and I set about getting as much of the soil spread as I could.

I've taken a picture of the mound of dirt which at first sight wasn't as big as I thought it would be. But boy, as soon as I got my shovel into it I realized how big a job this was actually going to be. After 90 minutes and 10 barrowloads, I managed to get the bottom right quadrant of the garden dumped and spread. I also measured and staked the beds in that quadrant so the peas and lettuce can go in next week. I do still need to build the beds and straw the paths but I should be able to do that without too much effort.

It rained buckets all day Saturday and Sunday so the rest of my dirt is covered with a blue tarp until I can get my spade into it next Saturday. By the way, dirt really is deceptively heavy. Each shovelful really had an impressive heft to it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure could have used some help. Sorry the weather was so lousy. Great story. Send it to Hank, he loves this stuff!
R

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. I love the fact that you are seriously concentrating entirely on explaining how you do your gardening. And the fact that dirt is heavy. And that you say that London is in the UK.
Brilliant.
Suse x
ps does the word 'mud' exist in US?

William Hoffman said...

Well there's one in Ontario. Can never be too careful.