Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Restaurant Report: BLT Fish Shack

In an effort to cover topics outside of the garden I'll share with you a recent experience at a New York resto. Last Thursday night I had dinner at BLT Fish with my friend Ben. We had an 8:30 reservation and showed up at 8:30. So far so good.

The table wasn't ready but we were assured they were paying now so shouldn't be long. No sweat, we'll have a glass of wine at the bar (an unmemorable Riesling). 15 minutes later, still no table but a polite reminder to the maitre, with the response of "just a few more minutes please." 30 minutes later, still at the bar.

That was when the hostess came by and we said "we've been here for 30 minutes watching plenty of people get seated, at the very least you can offer to buy us a drink." Her response: she laughed. She really did, like I made a joke. Very irritating. We eventually got seated (I know, I know we should have walked out then) and had a fine, but by no means transcendent, meal. The iceberg wedge was really excellent, the garlic bread that comes with the table was pretty superb as well. The lobster roll was good but not $24 good and the fries that came with it were pretty soggy and disappointing.

Fortunately Ben is good company and we had a great time together. I can't say I'll rush back to BLT Fish. It's been well reviewed and we probably caught them on an off evening, but the pool is too deep in NY to reward an average experience.

2 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

Restaurants are becoming like Doctor's offices, the reservation time is merely a suggestion of when you'll get a table.

If that hostess were in one of my places (past tense) she would have had drinks in your hands before the thought ever occured to you.

Anonymous said...

Amen... I don't like the name of the restaurant anyway...
I like when you venture out on other culinary topics. When indeed you stray from the garden (which, of course, I love hearing about).. do you notice it is to discuss "wine" or "food"? All good topics in my book.
For a brief departure from blogging... you are back with a vengeance...
xx -s