Sunday, July 30, 2006

Week 16: 29 July -- Squash Attack

And by squash attack, I mean all types. The zukes, pumpkins and yellow squash are steadily marching forward and taking over everything in their path. The pumpkins are especially Napoleonic. I even saw my first baby pumpkin this weekend.

No pictures for you but I can tell you that this weekend I pulled out:

  • 6 Giant Zucchinis...I must get better at catching them when they are younger, they get a bit mushy with age
  • A dozen yellow squash
  • 8 Cucumbers (message to self, use gloves next time)
  • 3 Cherry tomatoes...what's up with that
  • A few good handfuls of delicious string beans, even some yellow ones
  • The tomatoes are rapidly ripening, any week now I should be inundated

But really not a whole lot to do; weeding and harvesting are the main chores these days.

But what's up with my artichokes, I'm not seeing any choke stems coming out of them yet. I hope they're not pulling some "first season, no choke" BS with me.

1 comment:

Stunned Donor said...

I hate to break it to you, but artichokes generally don't produce the first year. However if you mulch them really, really good this Fall/Winter (like I failed to do last year) you'll get flowers next Spring and probably Fall as well.