Sunday, July 09, 2006

Week 13: 8 July -- Water, water everywhere

This weekend my friend Sheldon and I installed a drip irrigation system across the entire garden. I'd ordered one from Dripworks and we managed to get the entire system set up in a few (long) hours. Fortunately Sheldon had actually done this a few times before so things went a lot quicker than they would have otherwise. I'm pretty darn pleased with how it all went (and very indebted to Sheldon for his expertise and labor).


And have a look at my first tomatoes. These will be a yellow cherry tomato so they should be ready in just a week or two (max). We've also got zukes and squash growing, flowers blooming and the start of a pumpkin (assuming this female blossom blooms and manages to get fertilized).




3 comments:

Stunned Donor said...

I keep threatening to install drip irrigation, but then I'd miss my evenings watering with the bats circling over my head; catching mosquitoes.

William Hoffman said...

Which of course wouldn't work for me as I'm not there most evenings. My primary reservation about the system is that I'm planning on keeping it down year-round and tilling is going to be a challenge.

Stunned Donor said...

Do you think the system will be okay over the winter? I've only had drip irrigation down in Florida and I'm a newbie (3) years to snow in general.

BTW, I showed your bear pictures to my cousin who has a farm nearby and he showed me his bear pictures as well, a sow with two cubs that wanders the neighborhood and likes to hang out in everyone's yards.