Tuesday, June 27, 2006

More compost stuff

Okay, now I've really lost it. I'm actually photographing my compost heap. Sorry friends, I guess I'm long gone. I won't be surprised if I come home one day to find you all sitting in my apartment explaining how an intervention works and dragging me down to the Maritime for drinks. But until then here is a picture of my compost heap

So a few weeks ago I was upset that my compost had sprouted weeds. I was concerned that I'd polluted the whole thing and now couldn't use it for fear of creating a major weed issue in the garden. So this weekend I decided to start yanking the weeds in an attempt to save it (which means that in addition to weeding the garden, I'd be weeding the compost too, maybe I am going insane).

Anyway, as it turns out, they're not weeds. Check out the picture at left to see what happens when you throw some potatoes in the compost. I guess my compost is pretty fertile after all.

1 comment:

Stunned Donor said...

Oh yeah..no taters in the pile. Don't worry about the weeds, just put some black plastic over it for a week and you'll kill em' off.