Monday, May 22, 2006

Are my tomatoes doomed?

I fear they are. I took a risk putting them in this weekend. None of the nurseries had moved their toms outside yet, temperatures have been hovering in the 40s in the evenings, and even in the 30s for the next day or two. This does not bode well.

Toms hate the cold. One frost, or even an abrupt change in temperature (like from a greenhouse straight to my garden) is enough to kill them. So I took a chance by picking them up and putting them in the ground this weekend. I did try and get them acclimated a bit by keeping them outside for two days and then in the garage at night. It may be enough but by the time I left on Sunday, the heirlooms were looking a bit droopy. There was even talk of hail on Sunday which would be the coup de grace for these poor suckers.

It's out of my hands now. We'll see how things look next weekend (which is Memorial Day and the official start of tomato season). If they didn't make it, I'll have to get fresh plants and put them in again. It wasn't a huge outlay and I guess I'll need to get used to losing a few guys each year, but I hate the idea of being the cause of their demise. I still might get lucky, and if so I'll have tomatoes a week before anyone else!

5 comments:

Jim said...

They're probably just spooning to stay warm.

Anonymous said...

Billy Boy,
You're a blogging rock star! AND, you have too much free time on your hands! Your blog is quite amazing as are your gardens! They look absolutely beautiful and I'm going to hate digging them up with my hot ATV. BUY USED boy and let's hit the trails. Get on it!
jeff

Anonymous said...

You'd make Mamma and Pappa Tsirmiris proud... Glad one of us can!

Anonymous said...

i'll be very curious to hear the next installment. nice cliffhanger, billy.
the house (and gardens/lawn) look amazing!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.